Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Putting Down Roots at the Ranch

Friday, September 25, we planted a willow tree behind the ranch house. In my mind it is to commemorate the reality of putting down roots at the ranch. Since John will be realsed as the Ft. Stockton District president soon, we are looking forward to moving to the ranch permantely. Now this tree is not just any ordinary tree. It is a start that Elizabeth Stephens got for us from the willow tree in her back yard. The orgional willow tree was one that her family had planted in their front yard when they moved to Artesia in the 1950's. Then wehn they moved to Hart, Texas, they planted a start from the that tree in their yard in town. When they moved to the farm outside of town, they transplanted the whole tree to the farm. When Elizabeth moved to California, she took a start from that tree and kept it in a pot. Then when she moved next door to Happy and Papa in Artesia, she planted that tree in her back yard. It is a most magnificent tree now. I am so hopeful that our start will do well and we can continue with the legacy.

2 comments:

dlriley said...

How cool Sylvia. What a neat tree to be able to plant, with so much history and meaning. I am excited for you to be able to be on the ranch permanently but the little selfish part of me is also sad. I don't look forward to the day when you move for good and I know it's just around the corner. Even though it will be such a blessing for you, I will miss you terribly.

Laura said...

That's a neat idea. I can't wait to see it!